A tale of two best friends on opposite sides of the world and their quest to cook everything from
Stephanie Alexander's 'The Cook's Companion'

Monday, April 26, 2010

Anzac Biscuits


Yesterday was Anzac Day, and as one of my missions is to empty the contents of my pantry before the move, I decided to make Anzac Biscuits. I managed to finish the coconut, and almost finish the sugar in this recipe. This also was not from The Cook's Companion, but a taste.com.au recipe. I have steered away from this site of late, considering my cookbook collection is bursting at the seams, so I have tried to get back into reading them for inspiration.

Hubby and I went to the Dawn Service at the Shrine of Rememberance, so I thought we would need some sustenance at 5am. We took a Thermos of tea and a few of these bikkies with us. Kept us going until we needed breakfast at a more human hour.

I also gave some of these to my folks, and Dad, who does not have a sweet tooth, apparently gave them the thumbs up. Some also made it to the family birthday party on Anzac evening, and were happily demolished. I was tempted to drizzle some chocolate over the top of them, but honestly couldn't be bothered. Perhaps next time.

Anzac Biscuits (Printable Recipe)
adapted from taste

1 1/4 cups plain flour (recipe says sifted, meh, I don't)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle
150g unsalted butter, chopped (I only had the salted variety, whoops!)
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 and 1/2 tablespoons water

Place the flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a large bowl, stir to combine.

Put the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted. Mix the bicarb soda with the water and pour into the butter mixture. This will bubble as you stir it in, so make sure you take it off the heat.

Mix the liqud into the dry ingredients, and stir until well combined. Roll the mix into tablespoon sized balls, place them on a lined baking tray and bake at 170°C for approximately 12 minutes, or until golden.

Let cool for 5 minutes on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Hubby tasted them at all stages, mixture, hot straight out of the oven, and cool, and he rated them as "very yummy".

1 comment:

CC11 said...

They look yummy - I too am shying away from online recipes as I simply have too many underused cookbooks and magazines lying around

don't you love those golden syrup tins? they are soo cute.

I woke before dawn to commemorate ANZAC day but didn't go to the service, I am sure it would have been touching